Greetings, felicitations, and fluffy dice.

GREETINGS, FELICITATIONS AND FLUFFY DICE

Now, you probably don’t know me, so let me introduce myself. My name is Jack Rowlands, although people tend to call me Mad Jack. I can’t think why.

Anyway, for my day job, I am an Alley Cat. What’s an Alley Cat, I hear you ask? In a very strange voice, I might add. Well, the Alley Cats are the Bomb Disposal team of National Security Command. So, if you’ve got something that you think is going to blow up, just give me a ring.

It’s a real man’s life in the Alley Cats. We do real man things, like weight training, marathon running, knitting, and highland dancing. And don’t believe everything you hear. One ballet lesson, ONE. Do they let you forget? Do they drumsticks! So, by way of relaxation, I entertain the team with a few of my hilarious stories. Well, I think they’re funny.

In among my own totally awesome original stories are ones based on tales I have heard. Some of them could be described as traditional. My grandfather would have heard them. Others are more modern. Now, I have tried to establish the copyright of these stories, but I have not been able to trace the authors. If you feel I have breached your copyright, first know that it was not deliberate, and accept my apology. Secondly, please let me know, and I will be happy to amend future issues. Now, is that or is that not fair?

Monday 27 February 2012

A Tale of World War II

This is based on a shaggy dog story which could be described as traditional. It was the first shaggy dog story I ever heard. This is my version.

Shortly after the start of World War II the call went out to craftsmen and skilled workers to come to the aid of the Nation’s defence.

One such was Nigel Webster. He had just finished his apprenticeship as an Oglogel Box Maker and was very keen to serve his country.

He went to the Army Recruitment Office.

“Well, Son, what do you do?” The Sergeant asked.

“I’m an Oglogel Box Maker, Sir!”

“What is an Oglogel Box?”

“Well, it’s about 20 feet across, and 20 feet high...”

“That’s too big for the Army to use. We would need to have special vehicles just to carry it. Try the Air Force.”

So Nigel went to the Air Force.

“Well, Son, what do you do?” The Squadron Leader asked.

“I’m an Oglogel Box Maker, Sir!”

“What is an Oglogel Box?”

“Well, it’s a cube that weighs about 30 Tons...”

“That’s far too heavy to go in one of our aircraft, try the Navy.”

So Nigel went to the Navy.

“Well, Son, what do you do?” The Midshipman asked.

“I’m an Oglogel Box Maker, Sir!”

“What is an Oglogel Box?”

“Well, it’s a cube that weighs about 30 Tons.”

“That’s heavy, but our ships could carry it easily. How big is it?”

“About 20 feet per side, Sir.”

“That’s not a problem. What exactly does it do?”

“Well, Sir, I’m not allowed to say, but if you will let me make one, I can demonstrate it.”

“OK, you’re in.”

Some weeks later Nigel was on the HMS Fearless. Under his instruction, huge tarpaulins were erected on the deck and fastened securely. These rose up to form a wall so that no-one would see the secrets of the Oglogel Box that Nigel had sworn to preserve.

Over the next month, timber and nails and equipment were taken inside the work area and the air was full of the sounds of sawing and hammering.

At the end of 6 weeks, Nigel reported to the Captain that the work was done. HMS Fearless set sail for a demonstration of the Oglogel box's strange properties.

As the ship positioned itself off of the coast near Penzance, the deck gradually filled with admirals and generals, politicians and nameless figures that stayed in the shadows.

The crowd watched, hushed now, as a crane swung over the area where the Oglogel box had been constructed. The hook went down and, after a while, Nigel called out that all was secure.

The crane took the strain. The motor rumbled with the effort of lifting the box. Slowly it rose from behind the tarpaulins, Nigel on the top steadying it. The crowd stared, fascinated by this strange object.

It was, as Nigel had said, a cube about 20 feet per side. It had a large hole (about 3 feet across) in the centre of each of the sides. There were slots irregularly spaced above and below the hole. Also on each side were sets of arrows pointing upwards.

Nigel gave the signal and the crane turned so that the box hung over the side of the ship. The crowd surged to the guardrail to see what would happen next.

The box was lowered, gently, to the surface of the sea. Nigel very carefully unhooked the box and was lifted back onto the deck.

All eyes stared at the box, now floating a few feet away from the ship. Then they saw a spurt of water coming from the holes and it began to sink. And as it sank, it went

Oglogel, oglogel, oglogel

No comments:

Post a Comment