Greetings, felicitations, and fluffy dice.

GREETINGS, FELICITATIONS AND FLUFFY DICE

Now, you probably don’t know me, so let me introduce myself. My name is Jack Rowlands, although people tend to call me Mad Jack. I can’t think why.

Anyway, for my day job, I am an Alley Cat. What’s an Alley Cat, I hear you ask? In a very strange voice, I might add. Well, the Alley Cats are the Bomb Disposal team of National Security Command. So, if you’ve got something that you think is going to blow up, just give me a ring.

It’s a real man’s life in the Alley Cats. We do real man things, like weight training, marathon running, knitting, and highland dancing. And don’t believe everything you hear. One ballet lesson, ONE. Do they let you forget? Do they drumsticks! So, by way of relaxation, I entertain the team with a few of my hilarious stories. Well, I think they’re funny.

In among my own totally awesome original stories are ones based on tales I have heard. Some of them could be described as traditional. My grandfather would have heard them. Others are more modern. Now, I have tried to establish the copyright of these stories, but I have not been able to trace the authors. If you feel I have breached your copyright, first know that it was not deliberate, and accept my apology. Secondly, please let me know, and I will be happy to amend future issues. Now, is that or is that not fair?

Thursday 23 February 2012

Normally Speaking

“Ah, Dr Baxter, Come in. Sit down.”
“Thank you, Chancellor.”
“I’ve been meaning to speak to you about this paper you’ve written.”
“Yes?”
“‘An Analytical Method for Diagnosis of Mental and Personality Disorders’.”
“Yes.”
“What is your purpose in writing it?”
“I thought it would clarify psychological and psychiatric diagnoses.”
“Indeed. I have a few questions to ask. Do you mind?”
“Not at all, Chancellor. Go right ahead.”
“Ludic Voyeurism Disorder - How do you define it?”
“It’s the unhealthy preoccupation of observing organised recreational physical activity.”
“Or watching sport.”
“Yes.”
“Why do you call this a disorder?”
“Because it serves no purpose.”
“Many people enjoy watching sport.”
“That just goes to show how widespread the disorder is.”
“Phantastic Voyeurism Disorder?”
“Unhealthy preoccupation of observing people behaving in imaginary ways.”
“Such as?”
“Watching fictional shows on TV, theatre and cinema.”
“Don’t most people do this?”
“Yes, Chancellor. That doesn’t mean it’s healthy.”
“Dr Baxter. Can I ask a personal question?”
“By all means.”
“Do you watch TV?”
“No. I’ve never had one.”
“What about sport, do you play sport?”
“No. I don’t see the point of it.”
“I see. Now, this paper of yours lists 235 disorders.”
“Yes.”
"Including aversion to prawn curry?"
"Yes sir. Not liking prawn curry is just not normal."
“I see. How did you come up with these disorders?”
“I analysed a number of studies.”
“And who performed these studies?”
“I did.”
“I thought so. Now, if I read this right, you have disorders relating to driving cars, flying in aircraft, going on holiday. All these would seem to be quite normal.”
“Not according to my studies, Chancellor.”
“I can see at least twelve of these that apply to me. The same for other people I can think of. As a matter of fact, I think there is only one person they don’t apply to.”
“Chancellor?”
“You’ve defined yourself as normal, haven’t you?”
”Well, according to my studies...”
“And anyone who is not you, is not normal?”
“Well...”
“You have devoted a whole paper to proving you are the only normal person on the planet.”
“So it would seem, Chancellor.”
“Baxter, that is not normal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment